I’ve been seeing these healthy/ vegetable filled lasagna recipes floating around pinterest. I looked at a couple and created a little mixture of my own. I was a little leery of this “skinny” recipe, but Jared actually loved it…so much so that he went back and got a second slice (Jared rarely goes back for seconds). We had it again for leftovers and I thought it tasted even better the next day! This is a great low carb, low calorie dinner option and would be great paired with a side salad or a slice of whole wheat bread seasoned with garlic powder. This recipe has potential for some great variations. Different vegetables can be used. Low fat/ non fat ricotta cheese could be used in place of the yogurt mixture. Let me know if you try some different ideas!
No Pasta Lasagna
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 20 oz pkg. of extra lean turkey, or ground sirloin
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes, low sodium
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp Italian spice blend
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 pound of zucchini and/or yellow squash, cut into thin medallion rounds
- 2 – 2 1/2 cups cooked spaghetti squash
- 1 cup 2% reduced fat mozzarella, shredded
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
1. Prepare spaghetti squash:
Oven method: preheat oven to 375 degrees. Poke holes in the skin and place on baking sheet. Cook for 1 hour.
Microwave method: Cook for 10-12 minutes (4-5 minutes per pound).
Once cooked, cut in half and spoon out seeds. Scrape out the strands with a fork. If you have never used spaghetti squash before, I recommend watching a youtube video. Its easy, but it’s nice to have a visual.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion and sautee on medium high for 3-5 minutes or until soft. Add ground turkey, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, italian seasoning, salt & pepper, and crushed garlic. Cook until turkey is done. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine greek yogurt, egg, and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 9 x 13 glass dish or spray with olive oil pam. Line the bottom with zucchini slices. Then add half of the meat mixture. Next add half of the yogurt mixture. Lastly add half of the spaghetti squash. Repeat these layers with the remaining zucchini, meat, yogurt, and spaghetti squash. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella.
Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 271.33g
- Total Fat: 7.9g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbs: 15g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Sugar: 8.4g
- Protein: 37