New pinterest recipe FIND!
I was scrolling through pinterest last week looking for a good veggie or paleo lasagna recipe when I stumbled across this unique recipe from Comfy Belly. My mom used to make a delicious, but not so healthy mexican casserole, so when I saw this “paleo mexican lasagna” I knew I had to try it! I changed up a few things, but this is great clean eating twist on the classic!
Healthy Mexican Casserole Ingredients:
- 8 oz spinach leaves
- 1 cup cilantro (not packed)
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 zuchinni
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or other cooking oil
- 1 pound ground turkey (or chicken or lean beef)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt for the chicken
- 2 10 oz rotel (I used mild)
- 1 cup shredded or grated Monterey Jack cheese or Pepper Jack cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 to 8 coconut flour tortillas (recipe below or you can use corn tortillas)
- 1 can whole kernel corn (drained)
- 1 can black beans drained (drained)
Coconut Flour Tortillas
2/3 cup egg whites (about 4 large egg whites)
2 tablespoons coconut oil melted (or unsalted butter, ghee, plus more for skillet)
¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons coconut flour
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
1. Whisk egg whites, melted coconut oil (make sure its melted), almond milk (I suggest warming the almond milk in the microwave to at least room temp or it will make the coconut oil harden), and lime juice in a bowl.
2. Whisk in coconut flour, cumin, and salt. Let set for a few minutes to allow the coconut flour to absorb the moisture.
3. Heat skillet over medium heat. Add a small amount of coconut or other oil to the skillet (or nonstick spray). Add about 2 tablespoons of batter to the warm skillet to make a 4-5 inch tortilla.
4. Once the edges begin to brown and you can easily slip your spatula underneath, flip and cook the other side. Transfer to a plate and use wax paper in between tortillas so they don’t stick together.
1. Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees
2. Chop the spinach, cilantro, onion, zucchini, bell pepper, and cilantro.
3. Add 1 tablespoon coconut oil to a large saucepan and warm over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey and cook until mostly done. Place turkey in a bowl to the side.
4. Add the chopped vegetables to the pan with chili powder, cumin, and salt. Add rotel and cook the mixture over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Add turkey to the mixture and cook another 3 minutes, continuing to stir.
6. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Place layer of coconut flour tortillas on the bottom. Next add a layer of the turkey/ vegetable mixture. Then add a thin layer of black beans and corn. Repeat this layering process 1-2 more times. Add the cheese on top and bake the casserole for 10 minutes.